Nothing is due Friday, 11/7. Work on your outlines due Monday.
Monday, turn in a typed outline entitled "The Spread of Islam." Include enough information to represent the reading you've done. Use my handouts to help you. Show you know the proper outline format.
Include the information from your Sunni/Shi'ia web map/semantic map notes. You probably would want to put it early in the chronological order of the spread of Islam, or as a separate category about religious differences. There are many different ways to organize your ideas in this outline.
And yes, you will have a quiz on Monday on Islam, and also a bit on the election and the electoral college. Here is review material:
SS7 QUIZ REVIEW
QUIZ WILL BE ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 11
TOPICS: ISLAM, GEOGRAPHY, ELECTION
STUDY MATERIALS: YOUR BINDER AND HANDOUTS
1. Different monotheist religions
2. Basic religion vocabulary, like prophet, pilgrimage, polytheist, monotheist
3. Pillars of Islam, in English and Arabic
4. Basic beliefs – what is the basic idea of the “shahada”?
5. Basic components of prayer – in a mosque, facing Mecca, 5 x a day, etc.
6. Notes from INTRO TO ISLAM packet (purple one)
Be able to tell the story of early Arabia, about Mohammed, and how Islam got its start, about Mecca and Medina, and so on
7. Sunni and Shi’ia
7. Baghdad, City of Scholars
8. Other places Islam spread to – Spain, Ottoman Empire, mention a few others
9. How Islam spread: trade, preaching, conquest
10. Jerusalem and the Crusaders
10. Middle East geography
11. The Barefoot College
12. The Electoral College
13. Basic campaign issues and the candidates